The WIAA Division 1 Swimming and Diving Meet will be last chance to add to their legacy as two of the Greenfield/Greendale program’s greatest swimmers.
Both will compete in two individual events as well as two relays at the University of Wisconsin-Natatorium at 3 p.m. Saturday, and neither is a stranger to the state’s grandest stage.
A year ago, the duo teamed with then-senior Mike Lucchesi and others to lead the PantherHawks to third in the team standings. Lennertz and Jungers took first and second in the 100-yard butterfly and were on the winning 200 freestyle relay.
Lennertz added a third in the 50 free as did Jungers in the 200 individual medley, and they again joined forces to help the 400 free relay place third.
Their state successes date back even further. In 2008 and 2009, as freshmen and sophomores, the duo combined for 10 state-qualifying times and six top-six state efforts, highlighted by Lennertz’s second-place swim in the 100 fly in 2009 and his fourth-place effort in the fly in 2008.
Heading into Saturday’s meet, Lennertz is the top seed in the 50 free with a sectional time of 21.60. He is also seeded third in the 100 fly with a 51.03.
Jungers’ sectional time of 1:56.81 has him seeded second in the 200 individual medley, behind only Eau Claire Memorial/North sophomore Alex DeLakis (1:55.35). The senior is also seeded ninth in the 100 fly.
“It has been an incredible season so far, but on Saturday all bets are off,” Greenfield/Greendale coach Dale Schrank said. “At Madison, anything can happen, and usually does.”
The following are the PantherHawks' other state participants, followed by their rank in the state field as determined by their sectional times:
- 200 free relay of Lennertz, Jungers, Adam Fleischhacker and Shaun Fleischhacker, 1:29.60 at the sectional, 11th
- 200 medley of Jungers, Ross Rybakowicz, Tom Miller and Shaun Fleischhacker, 1:42.06; 16th
- Andrew Staszak, 500 free, 5:01.83, 18th
- 400 free of Lennertz, Shaun Lucchesi, Staszak and Zach Hogan, 3:22.94, 18th
- Rybakowicz, 100 breaststroke, 1:02.14, 20th
- Rybakowicz, 200 individual medley, 2:03.98, 21st
- Shaun Lucchesi, 500 free, 5:04.87, 23rd