In 2011 and continuing in 2012, we saw a Wisconsin torn a part by a minority that lost power. Politically they have used every resource of Wisconsin law to halt the progressive of the newly elected Governor and Legislature. On a more local level, we have seen people attacked for supporting the Governor, people have lost their jobs because they showed their support and even launching protests in an effort to intimidate the governor’s wife and two children. All in response to Act 10 which affected only public sector union employees that make up about 10% of the Wisconsin labor force. Now embroiled in a recall, the question must be asked whether or not we will see an end to this? Also, is this the new tactic of the Democrats to completely interrupt the government process in order to prevent Republicans from gaining power and enacting conservative legislation?
With Obama’s numbers south of 50% and no sign of recovering, there is a strong possibility that his re-election bid will end with a walk of shame back to Chicago. That being said, are political activists building the framework for a minority rebellion on a national scale? Are there a couple of movements now that with an Obama loss could combine to form a Wisconsin style political rebellion?
One group that has come out as an opposition source to conservative thought and policy has been Occupy Wall Street (OWS). The main goal OWS is to destroy the wealthiest 1% of the country. It is assumed that the 1% is controlling the political agenda of our nation and is working to keep the remaining 99% subdued. While there appears to be many other goals of those participating in this movement, the 1% idea and the desire to end capitalism, as a solution, is the only one in which they all agree. Unfortunately, many of the celebrity and political supporters are themselves 1%’ers. This inane stance of supporting some 1% based on their affiliation to OWS has reduced the movement to a joke. Yet, this attempt to ignore the movement has brought back its resurgence. Some members on the fringe have suggested that in order to gain respect, they need to become violent. If in November 2012 a Republican pro-capitalism president has been elected will the hatred and energy within OWS manifest itself in an act of desperation and violence?
Not unlike the anger OWS holds toward capitalism, the federal government has found a villain in other recent conservative policies; namely the Voter ID bills popping up across the nation. Having seen documented cases of voter fraud, voter ID is a simple way to protect the single most important right we have in this country. The opposing view has claimed that millions will be disenfranchised by these laws; except they have loss ground on two fronts: 1) They have yet to produce these disenfranchised voters, including within Indiana where the law has been used successfully. 2) They completely gloss over the those disenfranchised when a fraudulent vote occurs. My concern is that in the event of a Republican victory, the Democrats will bring forth a mass of voters claiming to have been unable to vote; while at the same time they will have produced large volumes of fraudulent voters. Either way, the post election chaos created by a claim that voting has become a broken process will be worse then any hanging chad.
Lastly, the Democrats have always established their desire to rid the country of the second amendment. Since the Supreme Court has established that concealed carry is acceptable under the constitution, many states have included laws that protect a person when using a firearm in the act of self defense. However, as we know, bad people exist. People that will bend these laws in ways they were not designed in order to protect themselves from prosecution. The Trayvon Martin killing could be one of these cases. In order to force the political agenda of race and gun violence; a frenzy has developed around this case. Regardless of the facts of the case, since only Mr. Zimmerman and the investigators have access to those, the case has already been decided in the court of public opinion. Assuming the possibility the Mr. Zimmerman is innocent, the verve already shown by those protesting in Florida could reach the level we saw during April of 1992 in Los Angeles. Imagine the fuel added to that fire when the first black president is voted out of office, regardless of his complete failure of policy.
2012 could be the political/societal perfect storm of scenarios. While each one of these situation is nothing for alarm, they could feed off each other. While I don’t take to conspiracy theories, Wisconsin has proven anything possible. More importantly, the seeds for the issues discussed here are spread throughout the country, making wide spread creation of bedlam easier. The political rebellion in Wisconsin was small compared to the frame of rebellion being built nationally in the back drop of our current political environment.