Southridge Mall Manager Mary Mokwa said there is a lot of interest in the renovated mall at Thursday's Greendale Chamber of Commerce breakfast where she gave an update on the renovation.
Not only did Mokwa give an update but she also gave some history on Southridge.
Southridge opened in 1970 in Greendale. Over the years Southridge was a powerhouse as the largest mall in the state with five anchor stores. However, things started getting dim for the mall in the 2000s.
"As time marched competition started to pull ahead," Mokwa said. "Mayfair renovated enhancing their tenant mix in 2005. Bayshore re-emerged as a lifestyle center in 2007. Brookfield Square remodeled and added restaurants in the stores in the outer parcels in 2008."
Last year the Village of Greendale approved a $16 million TIF district for the $52 million renovation.
What’s been done so far?
- Two mall entrances have been completely renovated with the plan to renovate all of them.
- About 80% of the upper railings have been renovated with contemporary glass.
- About 90% of the tile flooring and carpeting is completed.
- New lighting conditions, common area and restrooms on the south end of the mall are completed.
What else is coming?
- A new children’s play area will be constructed in the lower level in front of by June 30.
- Restrooms will continue to be renovated with touchless features.
- A trackless train for kids will be installed.
- The food court renovation will be completed by June 30.
in the mall, which include, , , and Kay Jewelers. Buddy Squirrel will soon be added to that list.
New stores have opened in the mall, like H&M. , and reports its sales are 27% ahead of plan.
Macy's opening was huge. Sales are 10% ahead of plan. Macy's helped raise more than $15,000 for local charities on pre-Grand opening day.
Mokwa said that Macy's is "driving higher demographics of shopping from the more affluent suburbs like Oak Creek and Franklin."
She also said a few prospective stores and restaurants that have shown interest. Unfortunately Mokwa can't say which stores or restaurants are looking to lease until everything has been signed. So keep an eye out for more changes.