Greendale Swimmers, Wrestlers Set for Postseason
The Greenfield-Greendale co-op swim team and Greendale wrestling squad begin WIAA competition Saturday at Greenfield High School.
The school will host both the WIAA Division 1 swimming sectional meet and a D1 regional wrestling tournament.
The swimming meet will be a strong test for the Greenfield-Greendale co-op boys unit, which despite winning eight of 12 events took second at the 10-team Woodland Conference meet Feb. 2, finishing behind the deeper Shorewood Greyhounds.
PantherHawk winners were:
- Liam Duffy in diving with 399.7 points;
- the 200-yard medley relay of Rick Perez, Ross Rybakowicz, Joey Hannah and Adam Fleischhacker in 1 minute, 40.70 seconds;
- Perez in the 200 freestyle in 1:46.92;
- Rybakowicz in the 200 individual medley in 2:00.40;
- the 200 free relay of Niko Mendelin, Rybakowicz, Shaun Lucchesi and Fleischhacker in 1:31.61;
- Perez in the 100 backstroke in 52.91;
- Rybakowicz in the 100 breaststroke in 1:02.07;
- and the 400 free relay of Perez, Andrew Staszak, Lucchesi and Fleischhacker in 3:19.16.
The 11-team sectional is at 1 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 9. Diving is at 6 p.m. Friday, also at Greenfield High School.
Among the teams expected to compete for the title with the PantherHawks is Southeast Conference champion Franklin.
Wrestling postseason also gets going
In wrestling, Greenfield is also the site for the eight-team D1 regional with action beginning at 10 a.m.
Among the teams will be Greendale, which had two wrestlers make it to the championship at the conference tournament at Pewaukee on Feb. 2: Thomas Welch at 113 and Sam Walton at 145.