Updated: A Peek Into Renovations To Southridge Mall
At today's Macy's announcement Simon Property Group also announced some of the details to the $52 million renovation to the mall.
Simon Property Group gave a peek Monday into what renovations of the 41-year-old Southridge Mall will look like in the coming years.
The renovations include adding a Macy's department store, redesigning the mall's entrances and updating outdoor signage and landscaping. Others include:
- The food court will also get an updated look with new flooring, ceiling, lighting and seating.
- Southridge's play area will be relocated and renovated. Soft seating will be added to the mall.
- The center court will have new tile floor, removal of tree wells and redesigning of the customer service area.
- The railings redesign will include contemporary glasswork.
- Cosmetic upgrades to the texture and color palette of the entire property and new carpet and tile flooring throughout the mall.
"I'm very excited to work with the village here," Southridge manager Patrick Basche said. "The mall and the village will become one, they are already one, but will be closer."
The renovations are part of a $52 million dollar renovation planned for Southridge Mall. In December the village approved a $16 million TIF district to assist the renovation.
About $10 million will be provided to Simon and $5 million will be in interest expenses for borrowing the money. It is estimated that the village's costs will be repaid in about 15 years by property taxes on the mall renovation.
The village and school district will start seeing revenue in property taxes from the renovation once the debt is repaid.
Simon Property Group has about 392 properties nationwide, said Simon Property Group public relation's Les Morris. He said that Southridge is part of 18 mall renovations throughout the country for Simon Property Group.
Below are a few additional Simon-owned malls that announced or are working on renovations around the country as well:
Santa Rosa Plaza in California
Midland Mall in Texas
McCain Mall in Arkansas
Plaza Carolina in Puerto Rico
Pheasant Lane Mall in New Hampshire
Crystal Mall in Conneticut
Great Lakes Mall in Ohio
Maplewood Mall in Minnesota